Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Jarome Iginla: fearless captain or schoolyard bully?


Jarome Iginla and Team Canada took on the once proud Germans last night in a game of hockey and the result was written long before the puck ever dropped. There were some notable things that did happen however. Rick Nash had his Olympic cherry popped as he finally scored his first goal in nine Olympic games, Coach Babcock allowed Sidney Crosby to take a penalty shot instead of Nash, Luongo managed to hold the potent German offense to a paltry two goals, Shea Weber actually shot a hole through the net, but the most interesting thing to me was how Iginla decided he was going to play again.

Four games have been played now. Two of the teams have what you would call NHL caliber starters: Miller for the USA, and Hiller for Switzerland (don't accidentally read that as Hitler for Germany). Otherwise, Iginla has been shooting on goaltenders such as the backup for San Jose who could probably win with the Kiprusoff Kid in net, and some dude named Grotnes for Norway, who probably qualified to play goal on the virtue that he had his own equipment and could get it on by himself.

Living in the shadow of someone else's dreams

So now Iginla has more "new linemates" in Crosby and Staal, and the result is he burned Germany for two goals. Come on. He has blasted pucks by Germany and Norway and failed to generate anything at all against the USA and Switzerland. I would love nothing more than to have to eat my words as Iginla dominates tonight against the Russians, but I'm at the point in my life where I am too much of a realist to hold out for that.
Artist's rendition of Jarome Iginla shooting on Thomas Greiss

 

When I hit the outdoor rink and there is an old net filled with holes, I always pretend that I've shot the puck so hard that I made a hole in the net, because I like to fantasize about having a shot that can go through a layer of sheet metal. But Shea Weber actually did that last night which was fucking cool.

Them crooked Russians tonight @ 5:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment