Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Iron Mike Sucks

I picked this up from Kukla's Korner this morning. The article is all about what Brett Hull thought about Mike Keenan when he was their coach. This is the man who couldn't coach Wayne Gretzky and Brett Hull on the same line in St. Louis. This is the man who traded Roberto Luongo for Todd Bertuzzi and Bryan Allan. Mad Mike Milbury takes enough shit from everyone else, a focus on Keenan as an NHL head coach/GM would be an interesting read. My favorite part of the article?

"I thought Mike Keenan was brilliant behind the bench," Shanahan said. "I think as the game became more technical, I don't think that was his strong suit. But when the game was won with sheer emotion and having stars, I think he was suited for that."- Brendan Shanahan

That more or less means that Keenan didn't coach his teams. I used to stand behind the bench and "coach" BBYO hockey but that mostly involved making sure we had five players on the ice and a single water bottle that was half-full. Keenan's practices, I'm sure, looked more or less something like this.

I'll let you guess which one Brett Hull is

Also, the Flames lost to the Blues last night, which more or less erased any memory of that awesome November they just had. The time is now for them to get their shit together though. From today until the new year, the Flames are away once, and that is for a game in Edmonton. Every time the Flames look like they are going to go the next step and become an elite team in the league, they remind everybody that they have one cup in 30 years that was due to the guy on the other team scoring on himself.

1986, but you get the point

While we're on the topic of the Oilers in the playoffs...

No comments:

Post a Comment